- This article is about the ancient villain and its legendary lore. For the person who became the Golden Master, see here.
|“When the First Spinjitzu Master created Ninjago, deep in the ground, he created the Serpentine. Since the first dawn, our elders knew of the Curse of the Golden Master, when he who had the powers equal to the First Spinjitzu Master would rise and usher in the last of the setting suns. With no equal adversary, his power will go unmatched. His destructive rule will change the face of the world, and he will not stop until every man, woman, and Serpentine are enslaved under his control. The Serpentine tried to warn the land dwellers, but they wouldn't listen. They thought we were the enemy, though we were only trying to prevent the prophecy of the Golden Master's terrible reign. After the Great Devourer failed to scare the unbelievers below ground, it is we who retreated beneath the soil, promising to never return, even now that the end is inevitable.”|
|— Acidicus concerning the Golden Master|
The Golden Master is an ancient figure of evil linked to a Serpentine prophecy, saying that the Golden Master will obtain all of the powers of the First Spinjitzu Master and will try to bring about a new dawn of the world, enslaving every man, woman, and Serpentine for all eternity.
- The Golden Master's minifigure has purple eyes; in the TV show, he has red eyes.
- The Golden Master has the same Elemental Symbol as Ash, except Ash's symbol was a silver-ish gray instead of gold.
- The Golden Master is indirectly responsible for the Serpentine attacking the humans of the Ninjago world.
- The reason the humans didn't believe them was because Chen tricked the humans into thinking the Serpentine were going to betray them.
- The Golden Master is said to be as strong as the First Spinjitzu Master and Lloyd.
- The Overlord appears in the form of the Golden Master in Wu's journal, in which an image shows him and the First Spinjitzu Master on opposite sides of a Yin-Yang symbol.
- The defeat of the Golden Master/the Overlord commenced a series of events throughout the rest of the series.